Thursday, March 9, 2017

Maybe I was too effective.....

Today Nolan did not go to school, but he sent his homework with Mason and sent a message to his teacher about not being able to rhyme "loose".  I tried to help, but he would have none of it.  " Ms. Take will help me."  He then panicked and said, "I can't miss track - I will get a strike!", and he tried to go to school.  I explained I was sure it was about unexcused absences, but he didn't believe me until his Coach emailed me "clarifying the policy."  OMG.  "I am not suppose to bother you or your schedule.....I am suppose to handle my own things".  He looked at me with his crazy hair and I said, "Not today."  Later, I go in and he says he is feeling a little better because he knows he won't get a strike.  As I leave the room he says, "I think I will dust later."  I trail off with, "Vacuuming would be better. "  "Okay."  I want to say, "Dude you are 10, and you are not feeling well", but I don't.  He is trying to be a man and I need to let him.  I may be forced to get him email and a phone to manage his life sooner than later though.....JEEZ....

On a side note....I was on a field trip for a strand band rehearsal this week where we shared a bus with another school.  That was interesting.  We were on time, they took forever to load, making my kids wait on the bus for 35 mins - there was only nine of them, and they made of late to the rehearsal.  My kids only had one hiccup and that was because of all the waiting on a bus.  We were perfect at the practice and when we returned and they left, I said, "Bye, it was nice sharing a bus with you."  The other kids said bye also.  When they COMPLETELY ignored us, we got a little silly like, "O-k-a-y... Bye."  And then it was over......until.....  We were pulling out and one of the nine flipped us off and LAUGHED hysterically.  I was like (in my head), "Oh, hell no!"  I yelled at the bus driver, "PLEASE STOP THE BUS."  "Yes, ma'am."  And I ran - and I mean ran off the bus (coaching track is helping!) and yelled, "EXCUSE ME!!!!!!"  Things were said, like, "That was inappropriate and, really, you are not aware when you flip people off!?!?!  What is your name?  You will never do that to my kids again."  I looked to the chaperone (who told me earlier that he enjoys going with these kids because they are not problem kids), "Are you going to handle this or should I?!?!"  I returned to the bus and said, "Thank you."  He smiled and said, "ANYTIME!"  My kids were fine, quiet and on their phones because they earned that.  When I got home, I apologized to Mason and he said, "Do not worry Mom.  All they said was, 'No one get away with anything.  Mason how do you do it?!?!'"  At the concert that night I told our teacher about it in case our kids brought it up, and they were already aware of it.  "We will handle it."  I replied, "Oh, it is handled and he is probably scared for life."  

And they keep calling me for field trips.......  

Happy Thursday, Ang

No comments: