Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Owed to my husband

Monday was a pretty good day. Chemo went well. I had my normal entourage of people. Heck, I am there for four hours, I might as well have a line up of visitors! Tuesday went really well as I am learning how to negotiate my side effects. Grant left my lunch selections out on the counter for me to warm up so that I didn't have to touch anything cold. However, this morning I am back to my nausea and fatigue. I slept forever last night and woke up only to curb the nausea and then back to bed. Anyhoo, what I wanted to say today is about my husband, Grant. How lucky I was to meet him 15 years ago. A blind date. After all this time, longer than most marriages last, he still is the best decision I ever made. He has been such a trooper through all of this. He was the one that told me I had cancer. He went to every appointment, tracked everything that each doctor said, held my hand, held me while I cried, and still had the energy to say, "We will get through this." Since diagnosis and being the planner that I am, I have gone through every scenario. If I die soon, if I die later, and if I don't die of this. He has listened to them all and closes all our conversations with, "It is what it is and we will get through this." Now, during the next story remember - I am planner, a daughter of a business man, and a business major. I run our family like a business - finances and all. So, one day, I said to him that it would economically advantageous for the family if I died before our life insurance is up for renewal (which is in seven years). That way, Grant would have enough money to not work or start a part-time business, the boys could have a full time nanny, go to private school, he could afford a house cleaner, only need one car, and wouldn't the expense of me. I say this because once the life insurance is up for renewal I am assuming there is NO WAY they are going to renew me. Grant patiently listened to all of this - my rational, my reasoning, etc. He didn't get upset, he didn't tell me to stop, he just listened. When I was done, he calmly said, "I think I would like to go with the other plan of being without life insurance and having you." I retorted with, "But...." and he just gave me the look of "conversation over." And, I shut up (don't be so shocked!). Yep, he is the best decision I ever made.......

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, It is one year ago exactly today that I finished my last chemo. I am so excited to get your email in the near future (remember pixy dust outlook) that it has been a year for you. I had such a wonderful day with you at chemo I feel almost guilty. I just am determined to view it as each session they are killing all the cancer and we get to laugh. Love Elaine

Auntie Jane Hainsworth said...

Angie, It's 2:00 and sultry hot outside with a crystal blue sky. The Casita has a cool breeze created by 10,000 quietly humming fans. Both of your sweet little boys are asleep, two angels. This very moment is a slice of heaven on earth. You know "you done good girl"... Stay strong! Jane

Vicki Olafson said...

Ciao Bella!! (Hello Beauty)..my Italian greeting to you. I wanted to share with you a small piece of our incredible two week tour through Italy. Over 40 voices sang during High Mass in multiple Cathedrals throughout Italy. Each voice, sound, song resonating around the marble walls, echoing back at the choir in full voice.

Once we were done singing, in each amazing location...I stepped aside and had a personal conversation with the BIG GUY!! Trust me..he heard from me A Lot!!

I know in my heart that good things lie ahead for you..and knowing you have the love of a strong man by your side is a true blessing.

Hugs and all my love
Vicki

Sandy Grancaric said...

Ang,
I must add to the comment on your husband...I've technically known Grant since grade 1 or is it kindergarden? Time blurrs! Any how ,as you well know, he is one in a Million-Bagilion and thats all I need to say!!!
Stay strong (both of you!!)
Take care,
Sandy :-P

Anonymous said...

And you are the best decision he ever made. I Love You. XOXO Michelleeeey :o)

Anonymous said...

I wish I could take credit for fixing you two up. Ah well, glad you picked him, Ang. He's a good one for sure.