Saturday, October 19, 2013

I thought is was done, then....

Friday the 11th went well.  Like really well.  The procedure went great, the doc and I agreed that I should not get pain meds after the procedure just to see how my pain was.  I believed and I think I convinced him it was the pain meds that made me sick last time.  When I was infertility treatment, my Dr. at the time said, "Tell me about your cramps."  I said, "They are normal."  Months later in the process, I was having cramps and said, "Hang on, I need to lay down.  I have cramps."  So, I laid down and was breathing through the cramps.  By this time, I had been through several infertility tests and NEVER experienced pain even when I was supposed to.  He looked at me and said, "That isn't normal.  Angie, you always say you have a low tolerance for pain.  After all this time, I think it is quite the opposite."  After labor and delivery and cancer treatment including bilateral lung surgery, I believe him.  So, I had no pain meds, they gave me a BEAUTIFUL QUIET ROOM and he made me stay until 8 for observation and then released me.  Karissa stayed all day.  Gotta love that girl.  Grant got the kids and played with Robin and Jen on Friday night.  I didn't bother them until I was in the car.  I wanted to make sure I was coming home.  During the weekend, I slept a lot.  Robin and Jen cooked dinner for Grant and I.  Not just any dinner, anniversary dinner.  They brought everything - flowers, their pictures from all those years ago, chocolate, wine, everything.  Still in my PJs, I combed my hair and we have a very nice evening.  They went to the movies with the boys.  BTW - my boys adore their girls and the play so nicely together.  We are really blessed.  Grant and I really relaxed and just talked about everything.  He even told me about thing growing up that I didn't know about.  He was also drinking, so I was playing with him a little, like, "Tell me more about that and what about past girlfriends...."  He just looked at me and said, "Now you are taking advantage of the situation."  "Moi?"  ;)  Anyhoo, we all went to the pumpkin patch the next day and did the pumpkin sling shot.  ROBIN won the GIGANTIC pumpkin this year and it is now proudly placed in our front yard.  Kinda thought that may be a problem at the border crossing.  The corn maze took twice as long this year with 14 points to obtain before we could leave and get our prize which was a giant, like size of your fist, jawbreaker.  Nolan had it ALL over himself  by the time we got home.  I took a nap and the house began to smell like Thanksgiving Dinner.  It was awesome - complete with homemade pumpkin cheesecake.  Robin had made it in Kelowna and transported it all the way here.  Jen was complaining about how big the pan was and what family would ever need a cheesecake that size. She offered to leave the pan here.  After dessert, they took the pan.  Rightfully so.  It really didn't end up being that big after all.  The Jones' said their goodbyes and packed up for the big drive on Monday.  Apparently, their giant jawbreakers lasted the entire trip!  Monday morning arrived and I got the kids off to school.  I was tired all day, but by Wednesday I was a full steam.  PTA busy, 8200 box tops submitted, working with Heather and email conversions not going well, ukulele practice, basketball for Nolan, soccer for Mason and then Thursday hit.  I was like, okay, I have a cough and my chest hurts.  Do as little as possible.  I clear the rest of the day.  Friday morning I feel better....start again....3pm my left side is numb on one thin line (my lung surgery sucher line) and shooting pain in the same area that registered as a 9 out of 10 occur.  I am at Staples.  Phone dead.  I email from my iPad.  Hank says, "At this point of the day, go to the ER because they can do all the tests we need."  This is one of the longest responses he has ever given me because he knows that I consider a visit to the ER a failure.  I get there before 4 and email once more, "I am here...can't I do this in the office or do I have to go to the ER."  "I am afraid they are the only ones that can run everything I want."  I end the conversation with, "Fine, but you are mean."  (I apologized later.)  Friday night in the ER is, well, interesting.  I called Grant and he was like, "What - I can't hear you?  You want me to what?  Why?'  I hung up on them screaming in the phone - "READ YOUR EMAIL!"  I had cced him on everything.  He met me at the ER.  We had a nice time and I apologized for yelling at him.  He understood and I think I gave him some insight on the cell reception at the proposed new rental space for CRETE.  The nurses were great.  I did say that the only silver lining to this ER visit was that I was missing a birthday party Chuckie Cheese.  (THANK YOU BECKEY FOR TAKING THE BOYS WITH MIA!  YOU TOOK ONE FOR THE TEAM LAST NIGHT!)  One nurse looked at me with that OMG look and said, "I can keep you here as long as you want."  I was there until 8pm just as the party was ending.  EKGs, CAT scan, lung x-rays, and blood work.  I felt RIDICULOUS being there with some numbness and shooting pain.  Hank came in.  "I think you have a gummed up nerve.  They may have nicked something last week. You lungs are good, your heart is good and no PE (blood clot) which we were worried about.  Go home."  Don't have to tell me twice.  I was up and leaving when Grant said, "Honey, your IV is still in."  The nurse came in and tells me that I need to relax, eat fruits and vegetables, walk around the block, and not be so hurried.  I didn't say much but when we got in the car Grant was like, "Who was that nurse?"  I said, "I don't know, but I want a burger from Family Drive In, you?"  That was a great burger.  Happy Saturday (from home!), Ang

1 comment:

Junior & Buddy said...

How are you feeling- is the pain level better? You tolerate so much...don't ignore what your body is telling you and for goodness sakes, rest up!

Grandes besos- Lizette