Saturday, July 2, 2011

Three things......

Sometimes I wonder how parents can sometimes be complete screw ups and still have a Big 5 kid??? Example: The day before the last day of school Mason there was a "Fun Run". Our neighborhood is one big loop, so they take the entire school and run around it. It is 1.3 miles. Now, I have NEVER, repeat NEVER, seem Mason hit full stride. The best way to explain it is that he kinda dances and prances around the soccer field and the T-ball field. Having grown up with sports (and been a track girl), frankly, it makes me nuts. I mentioned it to my Dad once and he said, "Yeah, but I saw him hit his stride once and he has a good one." I looked at Dad like he was crazy. Anyway, I prepped Mason - T-shirt, shorts, running shoes, sunscreen and extra fluids that morning. I didn't say anything but there is a run at school today - have fun! When I picked him up, I asked him about it and he told me, and I quote, "Mommy, I beat all the fifth graders, fourth graders, third graders, second graders, first graders and ALL the kindergartners. I think I was 10th in the whole school." In my head, I was like, "That is impossible" but I pulled it together and said, "Really, are you sure???" "Yep!" he replied and I said, "Okay, then you will have to tell Daddy when he gets home." And he did - in the exact same way he told me. Grant's response, "Mason, fibbing is not a good idea." "But, Dad, I did it!" Mason exclaimed and I shot Grant a look. Then we dropped it both sure that Mason was exaggerating. The next day, I got a call from school about last minute volunteer rap up and Chris said to me, "Did Mason tell you about his run yesterday?" I laughed and said, "Yeah, he said, something about beating a bunch of kids." Chris replied with, "Ang, he DID." He was seventh in the entire school." Now Chris has my complete attention. "Who beat him Chris?" "Well, lets see, some sixth graders and one teacher." My eyes close and my head falls in my hand. OMG. He was telling the truth. Chris said, "It was amazing and I think he needs to run track." NO KIDDING! I call Grant and tell him we are the worst parents in the world and all Grant can say is, "He did? Really? That is great!" I don't think he heard the "worst parent in the world part". I go to school pick up Mason. As we are leaving, kids are still saying, "Have a great summer - great run Mason!" He was like a celebrity. I got in the truck with the boys and I apologized. He said, "I told you Mom." I replied with, "I know Mason, but quite frankly, I have never seen you run fast. How was I to know?!? I am so sorry. And, by the way, how did you do it?" With a tilt of the head and his finger to his chin, "Well, I started out and then I said to myself, I have to take bigger steps. So, I did and then I just started passing everybody." Of course, why didn't I think of that? Number two - Having a terminal condition makes you think weird and it is NOT the chemo. When I returned from my colorectal appt and all was right with the world, I was pulling into the driveway and said to myself, "Well, I guess I have to clean out my (clothes) closet since I am going to be around for a while." You may think this is a normal thought, but it isn't because the premise of the thought was two fold - one, you are in treatment, so cleaning out the closet is not a big priority followed very closely by, if I die and someone will do it for me. I know, sick eh?? So, I clean it out and get rid of a fair amount of stuff including a blazer from 20 years ago that I was hanging onto because back then I was HOT. Now, total dork. Closet cleaned, clothes organized, pj bottoms that I have been looking for for 10 months found, and towels....which leads me to number three.......when Grant started the business I never expected that he would be as successful as he was in the first few years. So, I bought things in advance like sheets, towels, etc that we would need/want and it would feel like we weren't so broke. So, in cleaning out the closet I found the towels that I bought. I was supposed to give them to myself for Christmas, but I was in treatment and towels take a beating when you are in treatment because of all the washing twice of everything, so I said to myself, I will give them to myself when I am in remission. In addition, Christmas was not so dim because the business was doing well and I could distract myself with other things like blood clots in my lungs, pneumonia, you know.... But now, I said, "SCREW IT!", ripped the tags off, washed them and am thoroughly enjoying them. So, why am I telling you all this? Because they are lessons to live by....believe your little ones - they can do great things despite your obstacles, clean your closet - it makes you live now, but remember where and all the great things you have done, and USE THE FRICKIN' TOWELS!!!! Seriously, what the hell am I doing?!?!?!?! No wonder I am in therapy!!!!! Happy 4th (and Canada Day!) Love, Ang

6 comments:

auntie jane said...

Happy Fourth... you firecracker you!!!
"From the mouths of babes", Mason is the man! You have such wonderful boys. (All three of them).
You've inspired me. We will have Fourth of July hot dogs... tonight... on Aunt Sally's "good" pink flowered "Haviland" china that has been unused and on the shelf for three generations of "Save it for special occasions."
Today is a special occasion.Love Jane

auntie jane said...

Oh, my bad...and my grandest wishes for a deliriously happy Canada Day.

Anonymous said...

So, let me get this straight: You had the thought "I should clean out my clothes closet." and then you actually cleaned out your clothes closet.

You are so weird.

I have the thought all the time. Like, whenever I put away the clean clothes. But I never actaully DO it.

Jen said...

http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/and-thats-why-you-should-learn-to-pick-your-battles/

Steve Chamberlin said...

Dear Total Dork (who used to be HOT),

Congratulations on discovering your fast running son. While we all know with a surety that you are a complete screw up at times (self proclaimed, even), your blog posts also suggest that Mason gets his pluck and determination from you. He grew up watching you fight for what you want. So good job setting such a good example for your children. :-)

If it helps salve your conscience any, I put a magnet on our refrigerator that says, "I would be the perfect parent if it weren't for my kids." Fortunately, I find my children rather forgiving.

I once watched our oldest son trip over a suit case while playing with his sister. He falls with his hands outstretched and then runs into our room to tell us he had broken his wrist. "I heard it, Dad!" Of course, I proceed to bend his hand carefully this way and that, asking if it hurts. He keeps saying, "Not really," so I send him to bed with no further love or acknowledgment. "You're just imagining things, son."

I became president of the I'm-a-bad-parent club at two in the morning when his moaning and groaning woke us up. We go into his room and see him cradling a very swollen wrist in his sleep. X-rays in the emergency room proved his original diagnosis. So he spends the next few months with a cast while his dad feels like a heel.

I don't share this story with just anybody (except on public blogs, of course), but I didn't want you to feel alone in the joys of parenting. It turns out kids are pretty flexible to our foibles.

Thanks for the tip on cleaning our closets and using the frikin' towels. Are you and Erma Bombeck related?

Now give us another post. It's been two weeks. :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree Steve...She can't just go out there and have fun and leave us out of it. It is time for our next fix (blog update)!! Whatcha doin Angie?