Thursday, November 15, 2007

Who said radiation was a breeze?????

I guess I bought into that a little too easily. Obviously, the doc that told me that didn't think about two small children. I am so tired, my Mom is picking up the boys today and keeping them until Saturday. What would I do without my Mom and Dad? It is weird because I am usually okay until about 3:00 and then I am just done. I guess I should have paid attention to the platelet explanation.....something about having more fatigue during radiation because you have so many platelets in your pelvis as compared to the other areas of your body. Yesterday, I said to Mason, "Fine, you don't have to take a nap, but you do have to be silent and still for the next 20 mins so Mommy can take a nap." Funny part is he fell asleep for two hours and I only got 20 mins because Nolan got up. I wasn't feeling so good until I called my Mom. She told me she could take the kids, I vomited (I think it was nerves), and I went to bed at 7:30. I should just check in to the old folks home now. As for my overall health, I am doing okay. Radiation is truly easy - hop on the table and seven minutes later you are done. But, with the boys and Mason fighting naps I am struggling a bit. I guess it is hard because I was feeling so much better, I learned how to manage chemo, I was planning things with my friends, and then WHACK.....my new protocol, my new restrictions, my new way of life. Who would have ever thought I would miss CHEMO?!?!?!?! Love, Ang

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there girl... I'm sure your body has some big adjustments to make. I am also sure that you will learn how to deal with it just as well as you did Chemo! Please Please Please let me know if you need any help.

Joan

Anonymous said...

Remember Gilda Radner from Saturday Night Live? Her book about her fight with cancer was a quote from her mom "It's Always Something". Your Mom and Dad are on the short list for canonization
for Sainthood. You are right, you are truly blessed with your parents. I am glad you put away your pom poms and settled in for the fight. We who are your friends although separated by time and space join in our thoughts and prayers as though we stood in one great circle and we send our love to you in your struggle. pat&mag

Anonymous said...

You are doing a great--no, scratch that--AMAZING job. And even though I tease you about being a Super Hero (that crazy DNA of yours), I do realize what an internal struggle it must be for you to be forced to slow down. You are on the comeback trail, woman, and it's gotten a little bumpy in places. Those bumps are probably courtesy of Nolan's new teeth & Mason's emerging sense of identity, as evidenced in that dastardly phenomenon, Reluctance to Nap. If ONLY he could fast forward 30-40 years, he would know how precious those naps are and never argue about hitting the hay! But I digress. Check into the old folks' home? Snap out of it, chica! You are still the rockingest mama I know.

Big hug from me & your Chicago fan club,

L.

Anonymous said...

If I could be so bold as to mother your bloggers for a moment: Please be very careful about what information you put on the blog; e.g., phone numbers and email addresses, even identifying neighbors and "hoods". It can be dangerous to do so on the world-wide web.

It feels like we are somehow a community of "Angela". We are growing and gaining strength from one another, and in doing so, we pass that along to Angela and all of her loved ones. That is good. But I'm afraid that in our best intentions, we might invite problems from strangers and I know Angela would not want that.

That said, this is a message for Angela: You remain an inspiration. It is so hard to move toward a goal and have it interrupted by little nuisances along the way. It can be disheartening, actually. Stepping back can mean acknowledging we are not always strong and it reinforces our need for one another...until we are strong again. You will prevail, Angela.

It can be difficult to parent young children (enjoyable but difficult) without having to fight for life. Your parenting responsibilities and your acknowledgment of what you miss from your children during these "down" times can seem all the harder because you are fighting an illness.

Yet you are an amazing parent; it's obvious from the way you talk about your boys and the way they respond to you. It seems trite to say it, but "this too, shall pass." But each day, each nap, each tear, and yes, each chuckle--you will get stronger! And, Angela, so will we. Thanks for that, dear mayor of the Angela community. -another L