Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A friend of mine asked me for a favor

She asked me to write down the things that make is tolerable to get through the summer and not damage your children.  As I always ask for advice from people with older children, she thought that I would be the one to ask.  I thought about it and thought about it.  I decided that before I give her advice, I should test my "new and improved" plan out.  So, I am on Day 4 and feel that I have a reasonable handle on this.......(imagine evil laugh).....  Let's review: The summer started with early dismissal and happiness for all the kids (emphasis on KIDS).  Thursday, the day after, was a tag team of people helping other people out because no childcare was open.  Friday, a bit of the same.  Before the boys and I started on this adventure, I said, "We are going to do Mr. Regnart's Reading Challenge and you will read two books every morning and write about them BEFORE iPod or TV.  In addition, you will do 8 pages and 6 pages of activities everyday BEFORE iPod or TV.  It worked and is still working HOWEVER Mason does 4 pages (supposed to be 8) and Nolan does 3 pages (supposed to be 6) and their reading is barely on track.  Nolan, of course, is on track because even though he is a BEGINNING reader somehow he read the bottom of the library form and understood that the Library challenge started June 1st and he retroactivated ALL of his reading.  Oh, and did I tell you that, all the homework is done in my bed.....while I am in it!  Swimming Lessons started this week.  They are everyday at 10am for two weeks.  We have never done this pattern and we have never focused on swimming.  Our big goal is that they are comfortable in the water and can live.  Thus, we have spent I think millions of dollars on swim lessons and know all the strokes, breathing etc., but we look hideous doing them.  So, now that we are part of a swim club with a swim team, they are like, "Wow, interesting, and oddly effective, but let's try this....."  Whatever - I am fine with it.  I have never cared if they love swimming, I am not looking for Olympic athletes in swimming, etc., HOWEVER, this became a big issue to them today because we saw some friends from school.  Actually one of Mason greatest friends, and I learned that she is in Y5 level.  We are in Y2.  So, in the truck on the way home, I said, "Hey Mason, we are not switching to 11 o'clock because we would not be in Alexis' class anyway.  She is in Y5."  Mason replies with, "Why is she in Y5?'  "I don't know, but her Dad mentioned that they started at Federal Way and they were REALLY particular is stroke."  "Why am I not in Y5?"  "I don't know, we went to the Y and I never really worried about it."  "Why........."  And that was it.  SERIOUSLY?!??!?!?!?!  A tolerable summer exactly lasted three and one quarter days.  I lost it.  "Mason, are you kidding?  Can't we just be happy that she is a good swimmer?  Are you kidding me?  Should we walk up to her and say, 'Hey, I bet I could kick your butt at hockey cause I am pretty sure she doesn't play.  Oh, and then there is skiing!  You and Nolan ski better than I did at 18 years old.  Let's talk to her about that and say, Eat my powder!  Should we do that?"  "No!", they both cried.  In my mind I was saying to myself, "Hey, my Mom is way better at cancer treatment than your Mom, so SUCK IT!"  I know....I am also proud it did not come out of my mouth.   Conversation over.  We are sticking to Y2, and we are happy for Alexis that she is in Y5.  NOT OPTIONAL.  Mason and Nolan are going to Champions (childcare) tomorrow and Thursday after swimming.  So, here is what I have to say to my dear friend, "Put them in camp and childcare enough that you can stay sane. Let go that you have things that you want to do.  Let go that you think you should have it all.  Be real and be forgiving (to yourself also) because this gig is tough and being there to nip crap like the above in the bud is actually important.   Don't get me wrong - I appreciate my time and being the one doing all of this.  I am one of the only ones NOT on their phone during lesson because I want to see them every minute (and I still have a dumb phone), but still parenting....it sneaks up on you and at the oddest moment demands you to perform....io...rough gig.  Sorry for failing you, Ang

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ang,
All anyone can ever do is their best.
Life isn't perfect however much we might wish it would be.
I think you are right on track by trying to keep things in perspective for you and your family.
Keep smiling...
Carla