Friday, September 24, 2010

As summer comes to an end....

As I finish up this round of chemo, I have been thinking a lot about summer. How I really only missed a couple things and how thankful I was to have a really great summer despite the weather and the chemo. The only two nice days - I was in chemo. NICE. We had the normal camping trips and, as usual, we got in trouble with the park ranger. This is actually a good story..... So, at Mt. Rainier campgrounds, you can bring bikes for kids to ride on. No trikes, no scooters..nothing but bikes. Well, we got in trouble last year because we brought scooters anyway. This year, Karissa and I decided to be good and we brought bikes. However, Karissa's kids brought a thing, that I don't know the name of, but you lay on your back and go under a car to fix it with. They didn't bring the big one of that, but the little wheeled cart that you put parts on and roll under the car with you. They also brought a jump rope. This is how it went - they tied the jump rope to the back of a bike, put a helmet on, and sat on the little wheeled cart. Looked like fun to me, but I was like, "How long is this going to last?" and "How many years - in a row - can we get in trouble?" Well, as our kids are WHIPPING around the campground gleefully screaming with delight other parents are looking at us like we are NUT BARS. News flash - we are NUT BARS! The ranger didn't catch us until day two. That was the funny part - this "ranger" that looked like he was twelve stopped by the kids in his golf cart and says, "Kids, this is not allowed and not safe." Get this - NOLAN counters. Not Quinn, not Grace, not Emma, not Mason, NOLAN - the 3 year old. I was going to jump in, but then I hung back thinkin' this could be fun.......and it was. Nolan looking up and explaining to the "ranger" that it was safe because they had helmets on. "It's okay! We got helmets!" The "ranger" actually started discussing it with the 3 year old negotiator and not so quickly realized that that was kinda....well, not going to work. There is no winning with Nolan. At three, he is a better attorney than most attorneys. He started looking around for the parents of this crew. I think Karissa dove behind the tent because it was pretty much me and five kids all of the sudden. Husbands gone too. I took pity on the child ranger and in my best, whatever-could-be-the-matter voice said, "They are mine. What can I do you for?" He explained to me that this was entirely unsafe and not allowed. I love it when twelve year olds tell me what to do with my kids. I told him that I would take care of it and with a "Kids - their park, their rules" the ecstatic screeching around the campground ended. If I had a picture of Nolan with his hands on his hips explaining it though it would have been perfect. But then that would have given me away with the flash and all..... hehehe We did attend the Puyallup Fair this year and we did do Mutton Bustin'. No champs this year, but Mason and Nolan got on those sheep like they owned them and their Mama was very proud of their bravery. And, after all, Mason did get second place in the tractor pull to a seven year old which I think it pretty darn good! So, all in all, it was a great summer and I was glad to have it. Here is to getting in trouble next year!!! Love, Ang

1 comment:

Kari George said...

Tracter Pull and Mutton Bustin'??? And then whipping around the campground on some sort of potentially neck breaking wheely-ma-bobber?? How do you come up with these sports (if that's what they are considered?)? What happened to good 'ole soccer, baseball and riding your bike? Oh, don't take me wrong...my kids would be all over that wheely-ma-bobber thingy if they knew it even existed!!! LOL...Love it, Ang! You've got your hands full with Nolan! So glad that I'm not the only one with my hands full of 'boyhood!'